So farewell then, Ashley Klein.
Ricky Stuart's favourite Super League referee is on his way back to his native Australia having resigned from his full-time job with the RFL.
Always a risk of that, of course, and as soon as the words 'wife' and homesick start appearing in the same paragraph the game is invariably up.
He's had rather an odd six years over here, to my mind. At first, he seemed pretty hopeless. Then he improved out of sight. After that, I thought he plateaud off a little and developed an annoying habit of not quite watching play.
He had some exceptional qualities for such a young referee, including an unflappability that was almost eerie.
It will be interesting to see how he goes back in Australia. If they see him as a Pom, then his first mistake will be pounced upon with glee – like Russell Smith. If there's one thing that all AUssies seem to believe it is that only they can referee the game.
Likewise, in England there will be some scepticism about the abilities of Thierry Alibert. I must say that when I've seen him he has looked perfectly competent – and the ideal scenario is that he should become sufficiently convincing to be the logical choice for England v Australia matches.
Recent Posts on Sport
- New day (slowly) rising - As Brasileirão gets underway, Brazilian football stumbles, rather than leaps into the future
- iBet: Mercedes and Hamilton to roar in Monaco
- On The Road at the Giro d'Italia: It sounds sadistic, but the team live for the mountain stages
- iBet: Rose has the ammunition for Wentworth
- Brits on fire in the wet at Le Mans!
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter