How many meetings do you need to say No?
Remarkable snippet in today’s Independent:
One Conservative MEP, Struan Stevenson [right], described how hundreds of people from the industry had been trying to meet him. He said he had held five meetings with the Italian chocolate company Ferrero Rocher alone.
Assuming a complimentary tray each time, that’s quite a lot of chocolate, and not very nice either.
The story is supposed to be about the high-pressure lobbying of food makers against new labelling proposals. Stevenson’s complaint is a bit odd, though:
The lobbyists have now penetrated the inner sanctum of the MEPs and they’re walking into our offices very often without any appointments at all. People are objecting to that and saying we should have more control about where lobbyists are allowed to go. But on this issue there are armies of them. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Can’t he just tell them to get lost?Tagged in: european union
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
- Do the latest GDP revisions vindicate Osborne's austerity?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter