World Cup: Win, lose or draw? Where’s Carol Vorderman when you need her?
It was once all so simple. Germany would top their group, which would mean England would avoid them if they won theirs. But these shock results leave me needing Carol Vorderman esque mathematical reflexes to work out the permutations.
So Germany have lost, which means they will probably finish second with Serbia finishing first. And as I write, Slovenia are beating the USA, which means if England win tonight, and then beat Slovenia, we will top our group. But we don’t want that now because it’ll mean we face Germany, who won’t top their group.
But if we come second, and then win in the last-16, England will face the winners of Group B, which will be Argentina, because they will top their group (unless Greece beat them by three goals, in which case Greece will top the group). So maybe we should try to top our group.
And as I write, the USA have scored a goal. I’m not sure what that means, but if they score another, they could top England’s group, which means… oh I give up. Just give me one from the top and any other five.
Picture: Getty ImagesTagged in: Carol Vorderman, england, germany, world cup
Recent Posts on Sport
- Wheels: Journeys through Paralympic Sport
- Ibet: Real Madrid To Get The Job Finished In Dortmund
- Ibet: Manchester United may not have the armoury to breach Bayern Munich’s defence
- Ibet: Stats Point To A Lay Of Arsenal As Manchester City Come To Town
- Ibet: Manchester United’s Record Against Top Half Teams Is Poor
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter