Michael Gove shoots from the hip
You’d be hard pressed to find a more fastidious politician than the Education Secretary, Michael Gove. So all this public apologising for misleading schools on whether they will get funds to rebuild or refurbish must be very painful for him.
But it’s not the first time that Gove has had a hand in misleading Parliament and the public. Last November, he prepared his party leader to attack the Government for funding Islamist schools out of a budget designed to counter extremism. But Gove hadn’t done his preparation properly. He’d got muddled up about the names of the funds. The central point was valid. Islamist schools were being funded by the state. But the mistake about which arm of the state was funding them blunted the attack and embarrassed David Cameron (who had to apologise).
Any more mistakes like this and people are going to conclude that, fastidious though Gove might be when it comes to public speaking, he’s also got a worrying tendency to shoot from the hip.Tagged in: michael gove
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter