World Cup: Howard Webb did the best he could
Holland did well to reach the final and had a physical and fouling game plan to stop the Spanish. Arjen Robben still had two great chances to win it for the Dutch. But they finished up with seven yellow cards and Johnny Heitinga being sent off for two yellows. I warned pre-match that Van Bommel may have been sent off. He was lucky that did not happen in the first half.
English referee Howard Webb came in for some stick afterwards but it was a difficult match and his 12 yellows and one red were justified. He did try and make it a match but the Dutch players did not allow it, nor did the Spanish defenders marking Robben.
The only goal that seperated the two teams was scored four minutes from the end of extra time by Andres Iniesta, the match’s best player and for me the best player at the World Cup. So how come the football writers gave the Golden Ball for the best player to Uruguay’s Diego Forlan?
This was a World Cup full of surprises when many of the big names failed to perform.There were many disappointing games. But in the end the best team won.Tagged in: Forlan, Iniesta, world cup
Recent Posts on Sport
- Ibet: Galatasary and Chelsea: Game Could Be Tight In Turkey
- Ibet: Newcastle struggling to cope with loss of Yohan Cabaye
- Time for Manchester City to step up to the plate
- The Football Lawyer: Once Brazilian players prove their European ancestry, it's still not easy for them to settle
- iBet: Manchester City Predicted To Set A New Goals Record
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter