The Scale of the Universe
When I gave you the vampire bat yesterday, it was because I came across it when I was looking for something else (I’m sure that there is a word for that).
I was actually looking for the video below, showing the relative sizes of planets and stars, which I still can’t find on Olaf Davis’s blog but which I have now found elsewhere.
As I was searching, however, I came across — on Olaf Davis’s blog — something even better (there really ought to be a word for it), which is this animated graphic (still image, right) showing scale from the diameter of the observable universe to a “Planck length”, much shorter than that of a neutrino or preon, shorter than which would make “no physical sense” .
Wait for it to load and then move the slider left for smaller and right for larger.
Well, I thought it was astonishing.Tagged in: science
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter