“Someone is wrong”
A brief reply to Francis Beckett, in which I fall into the “Wrong” trap (right). But he says, of our appearance on Sunday Morning Live, about which I commented yesterday, that I had said that the BBC should have censored Anne Atkins and prevented her from calling Tony Blair a “war criminal”.
Unfortunately he was not paying attention to the programme, which I realise can be difficult if you are in the studio because you do not always see the taped segments. But the compilation voiced by the presenter, Susanna Reid, said that Blair “had been dubbed a war criminal” because of the Iraq war. That was what prompted Atkins to repeat the phrase, and it was the BBC’s use of it to which I objected.
PS. Reid redeemed herself in my eyes at the end, after Beckett criticised Blair’s donation to the British Legion because it was a way of saving tax (I wouldn’t want him as my accountant), wrapping up the discussion with a crisp: “Tony Blair pays his taxes willingly.”blair rage
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter