Rapha + Paul Smith: On the boards
I spent a delightful hour in the office of fashion designer and cycle nut, Sir Paul Smith, a couple of weeks ago. He revealed how a pair of sunglasses dashed his teenage dreams of becoming a pro rider, and lamented the decline of the craftsman.
If there was any remaining doubt about the suit tycoon’s cycling credentials, watch him pedalling the boards at the Manchester Velodrome with members of the Rapha Condor Sharp pro team, now doing battle at the Tour of Britain, who swap their kit with Smith’s for a race.
Less staged is this older video in which Smith shows off in front of Mark Cavendish and manages to impress him by performing a hands-free trackstand in his office. Not easy.
Recent Posts on Notebook
- Justice for sale but who pays for the cost?
- The Road to the Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc - Majorca 70.3 Ironman
- The Retail Ready People project means the future of the high street is in your hands
- Don't get mad about Amazon and make the right ethical choice
- Chagos: Conservationists are swimming in murky waters
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter