How many Ashes urns would fit inside a Champions League trophy?
OK, here’s a quick question I’m sure we’ve all asked ourselves at some point or another: how many times would the Ashes urn fit inside the UEFA Champions League trophy?
I don’t have the answer, by the way. Sorry to disappoint you. But it just occurs to me, as we prepare to do battle with the Aussies, that the vast difference between these two trophies, size-wise, also somehow symbolises the difference between the two sports, at least at that level.
One of them is ancient, understated, tiny, almost apologetically so. You could probably just about swallow it and live to tell the tale, though I don’t suggest you try. And yet it’s steeped in the most marvellous, colourful history. Oh, the stories it could tell.
The other is ugly, vulgar, spectacularly tacky, stupidly huge – and yet utterly hollow. It’s a symbol of excess for excess’s sake.
So anyway, there you have it. Just thought I’d share that little observation with you. I have nothing more to add, really.
But if you do happen to have an answer to the question I posed at the start, please let me know. I’m sure those of a mathematical persuasion could do the necessary calculations without too much trouble. Or just take a wild guess for the hell of it.
I will then gladly share your answer – or answers – with everyone else, allowing countless readers of this blog to go, ‘Oh, really?’ or ‘Golly!’ or ‘Er, right – and your point is . . ?’Tagged in: Ashes, Ashes urn, Cricket, football, sporting trophies, UEFA Champions League
Recent Posts on Sport
- iBet: A tight game between Northampton and Bradford
- On The Road at the Giro d'Italia: Feeling ill and racing in the rain must be pretty grim
- PSG and the French league must be more proactive in dealing with hooliganism
- The ghost at the feast: Luiz Felipe Scolari hopes that dropping Ronaldinho for the Confederations Cup won't come back to haunt Brazil
- iBet: Chelsea and Benfica to continue scoring runs
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter