“Corrupted by his ambition”
Adding to the flood of instant history of the Brown government is Anthony Seldon and Guy Lodge’s Brown At 10. You would think that we would be sated by now. But no. After Harriet Harman’s abortive goose plot in the Mail on Sunday serialisation, there is more.
I’ve only just started reading it, but some of the on-the-record quotations are quite striking.
Tessa Jowell on Gordon Brown (pxxv):
He was corrupted by his ambition to be prime minister and it distorted everything that he did and said.
Andrew Turnbull (former Cabinet Secretary) on Brown:
Tagged in: contemporary history, Gordon Brown, quotations
As someone who wrecked somebody else’s premiership, he was always going to have problems with his own. His core failure was his inability to be a team player, his inability to share, and his need always to be right – the clever boy in the class.
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter