What a “true friend” Saudi Arabia is to us
Saudi Arabia does not come out of the WikiLeaks cables smelling of perfume. Here’s Hillary Clinton’s memo in December 2009:
“It has been an ongoing challenge to persuade Saudi officials to treat terrorist financing emanating from Saudi Arabia as a strategic priority….donors in Saudi Arabia constitute the most significant source of funding to Sunni terrorist groups worldwide…Saudi Arabia remains a critical financial support base for al-Qa’ida, the Taliban, LeT [Pakistan's Lashkar-e-Taiba], and other terrorist groups, including Hamas, which probably raise millions of dollars annually from Saudi sources, often during Hajj and Ramadan.”
This puts Sir Malcolm Rifkind’s recent invitation for us to regard Saudi Arabia as a “true friend” in a new light.
Interestingly, Sir Malcolm has been one of the most prominent critics of WikiLeaks for releasing all this information. Perhaps he’d rather we let important people like him tell us who our allies are – rather than letting us work it out for ourselves from the available evidenceTagged in: saudi arabia
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
- Do the latest GDP revisions vindicate Osborne's austerity?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter