I was reminded of this eccentric stationery fact, vouchsafed to me by a reliable source, by my discussion with James Forsyth on BBC Radio 4’s Westminster Hour this evening. After our recording we talked about the many instances of Coalition ministers – mostly Conservatives but even some Liberal Democrats – who have felt frustrated by the constraints of either European Union law or of law derived from the European Convention on Human Rights.
James reminded Caroline Quinn and me of the episode of Yes, Minister, in which the minister wrote “round objects” in the margin of a document with which he disagreed. Sir Humphrey asked: “Who is Mr Round?”Tagged in: post-bureaucratic age
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
- Do the latest GDP revisions vindicate Osborne's austerity?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter