When History first came to a .
One is that the essay was in fact one of the earliest entries in my series of Questions to Which the Answer is No, in that it had a question-mark. It was called The End of History? (while the book was called The End of History and the Last Man).
The other is that it was not original when he took it as his theme. I have just come across an earlier use of the phrase in Sellar and Yeatman’s 1066 And All That, written in 1930, which ends with the Great War.
The Great War was between Germany and America and was thus fought in Belgium … The War lasted for three years or the duration, the Americans being 100% victorious … America was thus clearly top nation, and History came to a .
TEST PAPER V: Up to the End of History
Which includes such gems as:
4. ‘An Army marches on its stomach’ (Napoleon). Illustrate and examine.
5. Account (loudly) for the success of Marshal Ney as a leader of horse.
9. Comment Quietly on (a) Tariff Reform. (b) Mafeking Night. (c) The Western Front.
12. What price Glory?
*I interviewed him once, you know.Tagged in: headline
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter