One line from Andrew Grice’s analysis yesterday of the Liberal Democrat leader’s predicament struck me:
Mr Clegg is frustrated that he gets a kicking from both The Guardian and the Daily Mail. The former reflects the anger on the left that he hopped into bed with the Conservatives. The right-wing press would – surprise, surprise – prefer a pure Tory Government not tempered by the Liberal Democrats.
How sweet for us Blairite ultras to see Nick Clegg, who rode the tide of anti-Blair sanctimony whipped up by that very alliance of “left-” and right-wing press, fighting for breath as he is swept away by the same malign forces.
Photograph: BBCTagged in: blair rage
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
- Do the latest GDP revisions vindicate Osborne's austerity?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter