Barometer: Kurt Cobain
17 years ago today Kurt Cobain took his own life in a suicide that shook not just the music world, but pop culture in general. All this time on, there’s very little to say about Cobain, or indeed Nirvana that hasn’t already been said a thousand times before but, such is his continuing influence, we couldn’t let the day pass without a mention.
Cobain would have hated the slushy, artificial tributes to his ‘genius’ and he’d certainly have detested the massive industry that has been built around his memory, but there can be no denying that 17 years on his loss is still deeply felt in a music world that is now, more than ever, missing an intelligent, outspoken, controversial and charismatic star with a guitar. Whatever happened to our rock’n’roll?Tagged in: 17, barometer, dead, kurt cobain, nirvana, rock, roll, the barometer
Recent Posts on Arts
- Friday Book Design Blog: Fitzcarraldo Editions
- Children’s books for October: Meg and Mog, The Demon Dentist and The Whispering Skull
- Friday Book Design Blog: Slightly Foxed and Notting Hill Editions
- Good Indian sales at Sotheby’s London but contemporaries’ slump worsens
- Ryoichi Kurokawa: "Digital art is already classical"
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter