Barometer: Kurt Cobain
17 years ago today Kurt Cobain took his own life in a suicide that shook not just the music world, but pop culture in general. All this time on, there’s very little to say about Cobain, or indeed Nirvana that hasn’t already been said a thousand times before but, such is his continuing influence, we couldn’t let the day pass without a mention.
Cobain would have hated the slushy, artificial tributes to his ‘genius’ and he’d certainly have detested the massive industry that has been built around his memory, but there can be no denying that 17 years on his loss is still deeply felt in a music world that is now, more than ever, missing an intelligent, outspoken, controversial and charismatic star with a guitar. Whatever happened to our rock’n’roll?Tagged in: 17, barometer, dead, kurt cobain, nirvana, rock, roll, the barometer
Recent Posts on Arts
- Children’s book blog – the last post!
- Children’s books for December: Herman’s Letter, The Yeti Files, Greenglass House and Winter Damage
- Friday Book Design Blog: The Ariel Poems, and other seasonal pamphlets
- Children’s book blog – Ask the illustrator: Rebecca Cobb
- Piggott's post: Jacobson, Heller and reflections on "real life"
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter