Good news for Ed Miliband; no one noticed
One other thing from the Catch-Up Service over the holiday period. The main political parties published their annual accounts on 28 July, and only my excellent colleague Oliver Wright noticed. The Labour and Liberal Democrat membership figures went unreported, and they are interesting (the Conservatives do not seem to bother with such details; they prefer to list donations).
Labour membership (pdf) was up 38,000 from the end of 2009 to the end of 2010, at 193,961, which is good news for Ed Miliband.
Liberal Democrat membership (pdf) was up 6,000 to 65,038, which is surprising for a party faced with the compromises of government, a party which has lost about half of its support and which has broken its promise on tuition fees.
Photograph of Ed Miliband speaking at his school, Haverstock, on Monday: Oli ScarffTagged in: catch-up, ed miliband, labour party
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter