The 2011 “Questions to Which the Answer is No” Awards
Here are my favourite Questions to Which the Answer is No from the past 12 months. In 2011 the series ran from number 473 (“Will Cameron build a new political consensus?”) and has now reached number 746 (“Did Nixon have a gay affair with a Mafia fixer?”).
591. Was JFK killed because of his interest in aliens? Once again, the Conspiracy Theory category was hotly contested, but this one narrowly acquired the biscuit.
586. Did Marlene Dietrich plot to murder Hitler? Runner-up in the Conspiracy Theory section, also asked by the Daily Mail (pictured).
500. Is Obama Already A War Criminal? Winner in the Loopy But A Bit Slow Anti-War category. Barack Obama had already been President for two years by the time this appeared and therefore had been, by definition, a war criminal for two years.
515. Is Cameron leading us to a Big Society gay wedding in Westminster Abbey? Asked by Norman Tebbit, this is the winner in The Answer Is No But We Wish It Were Yes category.
484. Do We Have Ahmadinejad All Wrong? With a fine full-form supplementary question: “Is it possible that Iran’s blustering president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, long thought to be a leading force behind some of Iran’s most hard-line and repressive policies, is actually a reformer whose attempts to liberalize, secularize, and even ‘Persianize’ Iran have been repeatedly stymied by the country’s more conservative factions?” A sneaky winner of this year’s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Cup.
555. Are US government microwave mind-control tests causing TV presenters’ brains to melt down? Winner of the Daily Mail Classic Chase, even if the newspaper did not have the courage to put it in the print edition, publishing it on the internet only.
521. Can your dreams predict the future? Runner-up in the Daily Mail Classic Chase. The headline was on a report of a book entitled, Paranormality: Why We See What Isn’t There.
532. Is the Japanese earthquake the latest natural disaster to have been caused by a ’supermoon’? Bad Taste Special Prize.
539 & 540. Was all alien life sucked into a black hole after ‘white dwarf hypernova’ star explosion… and could it wipe us out too? Winner of the Double Idiocy Special Effort Merit Star.
541. Is John Rentoul a closet Tory? Runner-up in the Smart Alec category, asked by Daniel Hannan, the Conservative Euro-MP.
578. Is Sunday school the root of all evil? The Richard Dawkins Ecclesiastical Prize.
672. Is this penguin a communist? Winner of the Non-Sequitur Award, with special commendation for the photo (right).
Finally, two bonus awards this year:
N-1. The End of History? Winner in the Great Historical Questions section. I was delighted to discover that the title of Francis Fukuyama’s 1989 essay had a question mark at the end and was therefore an early contribution to my series.
Finally, because it is asked every week by Jan Moir in the Daily Mail, let us reprise number 163: Are you thinking what she’s thinking? Winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award.
The 2010 awards are here. Keep the nominations coming in. The hashtag on Twitter is #QTWTAIN, pronounced “kuh-twain”. Because I say so.Tagged in: headline
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter