First Ashcroft stumps up for a Royal Yacht – but would Miliband?
Lord Aschroft has come riding to the rescue of a grateful nation this morning, telling the Daily Mail and ConservativeHome that he will stump up £5m towards a new royal yacht to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
The idea caused a stir this week after the Guardian reported that Michael Gove thought it was just what her Maj deserved, though played down his suggestion it be privately funded thus triggering inevitable Twitter outrage.
I was chatting to a mischief making minister who suggested the issue could be used to cause more problems for Ed Miliband.
“David Cameron and George Osborne should announce they are giving £100 out of their own pockets to the yacht, and then sit back and watch days of contortions from Miliband as he tries to weigh up being either disrespectful to the head of state, or out of touch with his supporters who think the whole thing is just awful,” I was told.
As tactics go, it is perfect because the Labour leader would once again have to upset someone.
“He’d probably give £50 to the yacht and then split the rest between 50 leftie charities,” says the minister laughing, before heading off to start unknotting the bunting for June.
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter