Euro 2012: Wayne Rooney’s shaved head sparks Twitter surge
The boredom factor was a major concern for the England squad as they headed off to Euro 2012.
Between matches and training what would Glen Johnson and co do to keep themselves entertained? There’s only so much X-Box, table-tennis and snooker the likes of Ashley Cole can play.
And so it would seem that Wayne Rooney, who was suspended for the first match against France and is again for the next one against Sweden, has cracked. Or at least that’s one explanation for his decision to shave the head of hair he so painstakingly had implanted last summer.
The England No 10’s new hairdo, unveiled at this morning’s training session, caused Rooney to rocket up the trending list on Twitter. In attendance at the Hutnik Stadium in Poland, The Independent’s Ian Herbert tweeted: “Serious shaved Polish haircut for Wayne, after all that effort growing it #eng”.
At today’s press conference, striker Danny Welbeck shed some light on Rooney’s new hairdo.
“The barber came in (to the hotel) and set up his own little barber shop,” said the Manchester United striker as he failed to suppress a smile.
“Quite a few members of staff and players participated in it,” he added.
Follow Simon Rice on Twitter @simonriceTagged in: england, euro 2012, Wayne Rooney
Recent Posts on Football
- PSG and the French league must be more proactive in dealing with hooliganism
- The ghost at the feast: Luiz Felipe Scolari hopes that dropping Ronaldinho for the Confederations Cup won't come back to haunt Brazil
- Anthony Knockaert and other examples of sporting justice
- The feel good factor in Belo Horizonte may not extend to the Brazil national team
- Surprise package St Etienne clinch first major trophy for 32 years
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter