iBet: Maria Sharapova may be the Wimbledon favourite but…
Wimbledon Ladies Singles
Lay Maria Sharapova at 2.7 to one with Betfair
Backing underdogs against short priced favourites in the early rounds of the men’s tournament at Wimbledon over the last five years has been a fast route to poverty. In fact the men’s game is very predictable when it comes to Grand Slams, with 28 of the last 30 going to Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. However, it’s a very different story in the women’s game with eight different winners in the last ten tournaments and indeed only four of the last 10 favourites in the Wimbledon ladies singles have obliged. Maria Sharapova goes off a best priced 11/4 jolly following her impressive win in the French Open. Sharapova does appear to have a decent draw and seems more focused. But although she did win Wimbledon eight years ago, she has never won two Grand Slams in a row and in what looks a very open tournament indeed with a real chance of a long priced winner, the stats suggest we should be laying the favourite.
It was nice to see our lay of there being no penalty shoot-outs at Euro 2012 come in nice and quickly. It’s odds on (4/5) that the England V Italy game will be the only one that goes all the way to spot kicks. If you fancy one of the remaining three games to go down that route, you can get 7/4, two more is 10.5 to one and all three is 130/1. All these prices are with Betfair.
Betfair gives you better value. To see how much more you can win go to www.betfair.com/betcheckerbetting
Recent Posts on Sport
- iBet: A tight game between Northampton and Bradford
- On The Road at the Giro d'Italia: Feeling ill and racing in the rain must be pretty grim
- PSG and the French league must be more proactive in dealing with hooliganism
- The ghost at the feast: Luiz Felipe Scolari hopes that dropping Ronaldinho for the Confederations Cup won't come back to haunt Brazil
- iBet: Chelsea and Benfica to continue scoring runs
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter