iBet: No woman has been overwhelmingly convincing in the 100m
Olympics, women’s 100m, starts Friday
Back Blessing Okagbare at 10/1 each way
Back Murielle Ahore at 40/1
It could pay to look for a bit of value in the women’s 100m race. The betting is dominated by Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryrce (6/4) and USA double world champ Carmelite Jeter (11/4), who has three of the quickest ten times ever run. Fraser-Pryce caused an upset in leading an historic 1-2-3 for Jamaica at the Beijing Olympics. However, this event is likely to be very closely contested and neither of the favourites has been overwhelmingly convincing of late. At 5ft 11in, Nigerian Blessing Okagbare is a full 11 inches taller than the favourite and has been improving rapidly. Fifth in last year’s World Championships, Okagbare beat Jeter in the rain at the London Diamond League and improved her personal best again in winning the Monaco Grand Prix just before the games. Murielle Ahore of the Ivory Coast set a new personal best in beating Fraser-Pryrce fair and square in 11 seconds dead at the Diamond League meeting in Rome in May and the 40-1 available with Bet Victor is worth a small stakes bet.
Betfair gives you better value. To see how much more you can win go towww.betfair.com/betchecker
Recent Posts on Olympics
- Anthony Knockaert and other examples of sporting justice
- Oscar Pistorius and other fallen idols in the world of sport
- Video: Inspiring armless boy's Olympic dreams
- Paralympics: Some are only watching to get the gory details of how athletes acquired their impairments
- Controversial #Paralympics tweets: Crossing the line or just a bit of fun?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter