Those Alternatives to Trident In Full
Marvellous. Nick Clegg’s spokesman has briefed journalists on the Liberal Democrat position on nuclear weapons. He said that today’s news that Philip Hammond, the Defence Secretary, was spending £350m on the design phase of the Trident replacement does not mean that the Lib Dems have given up their opposition to a “like-for-like” replacement.
The Lib Dem briefing note says that no final decision has to be taken until 2016 and that the Trident Alternatives Study is considering the following questions, which happen to be numbers 865, 866 and 867 in my world-famous series:
(i) Are there credible alternatives to a submarine-based deterrent?
(ii) Are there credible submarine-based alternatives to the current proposal, e.g. modified Astute using cruise missiles?
(iii) Are there alternative nuclear postures, i.e. non-CASD [continuous at-sea deterrence], which could maintain credibility?Tagged in: headline, liberal democrats, nick clegg, qtwtain, trident
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
- Do the latest GDP revisions vindicate Osborne's austerity?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter