The evolution of UK Bass
Later this week the Red Bull Music Academy hosts its third Culture Clash, a huge music competition which pits four soundsystems against one another. Old school dub soundsystem Channel One are the reigning champions, they return this year to take on young upstarts Major Lazer, Annie Mac and Boy Better Know and their respective special guests. I went to the last one and it was a pretty spectacular night, tonnes of great music, an electrified atmosphere and plenty of drama, too. To celebrate the return of the event, Red Bull have hired the historical skills of Elijah (of the Butterz label) to produce a timeline of UK ‘bass’/electronic music. It includes quotes from Red Bull Music Academy lecturers and selected journalists to create a complete history of the music, and I have it exclusively.
Please check it out below.
Tagged in: Annie Mac, Boy Better Know, Culture clash, Major Lazer, red bull
For more information on Red Bull’s Culture Clash, click HERE.
Recent Posts on Arts
- Friday Book Design Blog: The Ariel Poems, and other seasonal pamphlets
- Children’s book blog – Ask the illustrator: Rebecca Cobb
- Piggott's post: Jacobson, Heller and reflections on "real life"
- Ric Blackshaw tells us Scrawl about his street art enterprise
- Children’s books for November: The Something, The Imaginary and Eren
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter