Mixed Metaphor Award: Boiled Canary
We have a winner. Markos Chrysostomou, chief executive officer of Haringey’s Citizens Advice Bureaux, on the effects of cuts in deprived areas:
We’re like the canary down the mine. We’re the first people who pick up what’s going on out there and what we’re seeing at the moment is a boiling pot whose lid is coming off. We’re trying to turn down the heat so it just simmers – but someone keeps stoking the fire.
Thanks to Steve.Tagged in: banned list, metaphor
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
- Do the latest GDP revisions vindicate Osborne's austerity?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter