The cultural lessons footballers really need to know
A proposal has been put forward that will see all foreign players and managers arriving in English football given “cultural lessons”.
The move is part of a response by football’s authorities to the Government’s call for tougher action to tackle discrimination. There are merits to the proposal, and perhaps it could be extended to ensure a fuller understanding of the intricacies of our national game.
Here are a few handy pointers that foreigners really ought to be aware of…
- Expect to be considered a diver, until proven otherwise. If English players dive, particularly those who play for the national team, it will be out of character.
- If a player isn’t particularly good and lacks that foreign ‘flair’, he is ‘honest’.
- Various commentators and pundits will fail to pronounce your name correctly. Persistent offenders include David Pleat and Chris Kamara. Learn to take it with good grace.
- At times, shouts directed at you from the crowd will be unintelligible – this is caused by the cultural practice of ensuring a group of 10 mates all buy a round before the 3pm kick-off, having only arrived at the pub at 1pm.
- Football started 20 years ago – incidentally the same year the Premier League was formed.
- Like fans across the rest of the world we love David Beckham, but we struggle to show it, and will instead be more likely to berate him for refusing to retire.
- Never cross Alex Ferguson. It’s just not worth it.
- Liverpool were once good – expect to be told this at regular intervals even though it was quite some time ago.
- Chelsea were not good – talk about this is less forthcoming.
- You have just joined ‘The best league in the world’. Never contradict this statement.
Follow Simon Rice on Twitter @simonriceTagged in: chelsea, football, Liverpool, Premier League
Recent Posts on Football
- The Football Lawyer: The career of a Premier League footballer is similar to that of a City professional
- Ibet: Argentina Look The World Cup Bet At 13/2
- The Football Lawyer: Brazil, Qatar, Manchester City and FFP - some legal homework for the summer months
- Ibet: Sit Back And Enjoy As Real Madrid Take On The European Champions
- Ibet: Real Madrid To Get The Job Finished In Dortmund
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter