Boris Johnson reveals his inner van Gogh
Winston Churchill was over 40 when he discovered a talent for painting. Adolf Hitler, bizarrely, was not bad painter either though he was a very bad man. Now, to that curious pantheon, we can add the name of another political leader with a hankering for the brush and easel – that of Boris Johnson.
The revelation came out unexpectedly on LBC’s Nick Ferrari programme this afternoon when a listener named Sean from Brent Cross rang in to ask London’s Mayor what he would do if he were not a politician.
There was a moment’s silence before the Mayor blurted out: “I’d like to have been a painter. There you go.” Then looking at Nick Ferrari, he added: “Stop sneering, Nick. You’re sneering. He’s sneering at my artistic pretensions!”
“No I’m not. Have you ever done any painting?” Ferrari declared
“Right, it’s too embarrassing. I’m shutting up now,” the Mayor replied.
“You have done some painting?”
“I do like painting.”
“So – landscapes?”
So, there you have it: Boris Johnson paints walls.
Recent Posts on McSmith
- Why it took fewer pages to set out the laws Margaret Thatcher's government passed
- The day the police came for the man who now runs the Care Commission
- David Cameron and other virile swimmers
- Nadine Dorries's new business: an engineering consultancy that has become a media consultancy
- The day Boris Johnson nearly set about slaughtering London's foxes
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter