The Top 12 Political Rants
The 12 best political rants have been compiled by The Fix, the Washington Post political blog.
Some of them are long. No 9, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie laying into his own Republican Party leadership in Congress, lasts for 38 minutes (and includes an immortal line about “iconic symbols of New Jersey culture”).
Richard Nixon, no 10, is always worth seeing again. And Howard Dean, no 3, is well worth another look: the “Dean scream” comes across as remarkably tame eight years later.
The procedural rants in Congress, nos 2 and 7, make the House of Commons seem courteous and dignified in a way that we do not value enough.
Are there any British rants that would be on an equivalent list? I can think only of Daniel Hannan’s graceless attack on Gordon Brown in the European Parliament in 2009 (pictured), which now has had nearly 3m views, and which also makes the point about the value of the conventions of the British Parliament.Tagged in: lists, rants
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter