A “watermelon” Green
The Green Party is said to be made up of two political types. Some are environmentalists who have turned to politics – the ‘avocadoes’, green through and through; some are libertarian socialists who in a previous decade might have been in one of the marxist organisations – ‘watermelons’, green on the outside, red on the inside.
Today’s Morning Star carries a long think piece by Derek Wall, international co-ordinator of the Green Party, which warns: “Greens have a long way to go to transform British society and the danger of losing our radicalism must never be ignored. To guard against this, I feel a Marxist analysis is essential…” Definitely a watermelon.
Recent Posts on McSmith
- Why it took fewer pages to set out the laws Margaret Thatcher's government passed
- The day the police came for the man who now runs the Care Commission
- David Cameron and other virile swimmers
- Nadine Dorries's new business: an engineering consultancy that has become a media consultancy
- The day Boris Johnson nearly set about slaughtering London's foxes
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter