Two cheers for Philip Davies MP
This exchange took place this morning while MPs debated whether there should be a register of professional lobbyists, something the government favours. “Just because it is the Government’s proposal, that does not make it a good one,” said the Tory MP, Philip Davies.
To which a Labour MP, Thomas Docherty, retorted: “That’s your career over, then.”
I’m not sure Philip Davies ever had a ministerial career anyway. He is an eccentric right winger, but at least he takes the trouble to be there on a Friday morning, and he is not lobby fodder.
Recent Posts on McSmith
- Why it took fewer pages to set out the laws Margaret Thatcher's government passed
- The day the police came for the man who now runs the Care Commission
- David Cameron and other virile swimmers
- Nadine Dorries's new business: an engineering consultancy that has become a media consultancy
- The day Boris Johnson nearly set about slaughtering London's foxes
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter