A US official shows how not to preserve the cultural heritage of the Middle East.
The US Ambassador to the Lebanon, Maura Connelly, visited the ancient city of Tyre yesterday to discuss “further ways that the United States may help contribute to the protection of Tyre’s rich cultural heritage.”
One obvious way to watch where they are parking their embassy vehicles. An announcement from the embassy confesses that a vehicle was parked too close to a wall, causing it to collapse. Ambassador Connelly has apologised, and has promised that the US government will pay to repair the damage.
Recent Posts on McSmith
- Why it took fewer pages to set out the laws Margaret Thatcher's government passed
- The day the police came for the man who now runs the Care Commission
- David Cameron and other virile swimmers
- Nadine Dorries's new business: an engineering consultancy that has become a media consultancy
- The day Boris Johnson nearly set about slaughtering London's foxes
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter