Dish of the Day: Lily Vanilli’s recipe for the Mighty Bakewell Tart
I have a long running love affair with the Bakewell Tart, not the Mr Kipling variety but a delicate orange scented sablee, with mixed berry coulis, pillow soft frangipane, toasted almonds, fresh fruit and just a dab of buttercream.
In the bakery we alter them seasonally, with so many variations we have no right to call them a Bakewell at all, the true tart is a fiercely guarded British tradition, much like Melton Mowbray pies. The pastry is much same but the coulis inside and indeed the fruit on top changes almost weekly. This week is forced rhubarb, with baked slices of the fruit on top.
Create your own variation with a sweet pastry recipe you trust and the frangipane recipe below.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: varies
Makes: 850g – approx 24 individual tarts
-230g unsalted butter, room temperature
-230g golden unrefined caster sugar
-230g ground almonds
-50g plain flour, sifted
-Finely grated zest of 1 orange, lemon or grapefruit (optional)
- Beat the butter and sugar together for approximately 3 minutes.
- Beat in the ground almonds, then add the eggs one at a time, beating between additions. Finally beat in the flour and the citrus zest.
- If making a Bakewell, blind bake your pastry, spoon in a little coulis, then pipe or spoon the frangipane to fill, sprinkle over with flaked almonds and bake at 180C for 15 mins or until just starting to brown.
Bakewell Assembly Animation here:
We are also introducing the world’s first agony-aunt baking column:“Recovering from a Bad Bake-up”. Send in your baking disaster stories of unexpected failures in the kitchen/recurring problems to email@example.com
On the third Friday of the month we will feature a Q&A with advice to help you recover.
Lily Vanilli’s Sweet Tooth is available from Cannongate books, 2012
Follow Lily on Twitter @lilyvanillicake
For more information visit lilyvanilli.com
Recent Posts on Dish of the Day
- Dish of the Day: How to... buy whisky
- Dish of the Day: The Reluctant Vegetarian’s recipe for Baked Brie with Roasted Garlic, Chilli & Cherry Tomato Salsa
- Dish of the Day: Pig’s Ear Beer Festival 2013 - Celebrating the Old and the New
- Dish of the Day: Food in sports arenas
- Dish of the Day: How to… give thanks, American style
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter