What if the internet broke?
Danny Hillis in a TED talk (video at Mashable) wondered what would happen if “bad and foolish people” sabotaged the internet:
We’re setting ourselves up for a kind of disaster like the [one] we had with the financial system, where we take a system that was basically built on trust — was basically built for a smaller scale system — and we’ve kind of expanded it way beyond the limits of how it was meant to operate.
The worst thing would be having to go to a supermarket again. On the plus side, we have some board games.
Since his talk, Hillis has discovered that “people” are already working on back-up systems.
As you were.Tagged in: internet, technology, the internet
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter