“Mistakes Were Made”
He went on: “We have made a lot of mistakes as a country, over many years, building up these debts.” How graciously bipartisan, accepting that these were national mistakes, regardless of which party was in power.
Just one problem. What was he talking about?
Public debt as a share of national income (see chart) was declining gently until the financial crisis of 2008.Tagged in: debt, economics, george osborne
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter