Dear Barack, Dear Beyonce, fancy a trip to Oxford?
The Oxford University Debating Union has drawn hundreds of famous or prestigious speakers to take part in its debates over the decades, ranging from prime ministers to Cheeky Girls. This year, they are aiming higher than ever. They have issued an invitation to Barack Obama, who will be in the UK in June for the G8 summit. I am also reliably informed that they have invited Beyonce, who will also in the UK during the summer term, as part of a world tour. But if Obama accepts, I wonder what motion they will ask him to debate, and who will they find to speak against him? Come to that, who would speak against Beyonce?
Recent Posts on McSmith
- Why it took fewer pages to set out the laws Margaret Thatcher's government passed
- The day the police came for the man who now runs the Care Commission
- David Cameron and other virile swimmers
- Nadine Dorries's new business: an engineering consultancy that has become a media consultancy
- The day Boris Johnson nearly set about slaughtering London's foxes
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter