“Clearing the Battlefield”
Matthew d’Ancona says David Cameron’s talk is of “clearing the battlefield”. Which is a nice way of saying, “everything looks like a shambles now, but just imagine what it will be like the week after next when all this bad stuff is out of the way”.
D’Ancona reports what I had heard, which is that No 10 expects gay marriage to be finally on the statute book by the end of this month. Then Conservatives can focus people’s attention on what one of the party’s spinners calls “the quiet implosion of the Labour Party”.
Like as if.
Tomorrow’s front pages (ours is here) are a reminder that, in government, respite never comes.Tagged in: david cameron, matthew d'ancona, reality of power
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
- Do the latest GDP revisions vindicate Osborne's austerity?
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter