Lord Tebbit and the ‘lesbian Queen’ – funny, but not original
Norman Tebbit has created a stir by telling the Big Issue magazine that the legalisation of gay marriage could lead to there being an heir to throne who is the child of a lesbian queen, created by artificial insemination.
While Lord Tebbit has shown that he has lost none of his talent for drawing to attention to himself, at the age of 82, he is not being original. Exactly the same point was made in March by another Tory peer, Nicholas True, when the Lords were debating the Succession to the Crown bill, which says that if the first child of the Duke of Duchess of Cambridge is a girl, she will not be overtaken in the order of a succession by a younger brother. The difference is that Lord True was being serious. Lord Tebbit, if I read him right, is having a laugh.
Recent Posts on McSmith
- Why it took fewer pages to set out the laws Margaret Thatcher's government passed
- The day the police came for the man who now runs the Care Commission
- David Cameron and other virile swimmers
- Nadine Dorries's new business: an engineering consultancy that has become a media consultancy
- The day Boris Johnson nearly set about slaughtering London's foxes
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter