Dish of the Day: The Reluctant Vegetarian’s recipe for Minty watermelon & Paprika spiced BBQ’d Halloumi salad
This one is for those who are up for mixing their sweet with their savoury. Even if you’re not, don’t write this off just yet, it actually really works. If you’re looking to liven up your salads or just seeking alternatives for the BBQ, then you have to try this. It’s super easy and really does work a treat. This is a Cypriot combination although they tend to keep the halloumi raw. As a non-veggie, I think halloumi cheese is a real saviour in vegetarian meals. If, however, you’re craving meat, you can always go the extra mile and add some BBQ’d crispy bacon but there’s really no need.
Preparation / Cooking Time – 10 mins
1 x Pack of halloumi – 1/2cm thick slices
1/4 x Medium sized watermelon – Sliced into 2 inch chunks
3 x Gem lettuces – Cut in half
1 x Pomegranate – All seeds removed and added to the salad
1 x Orange – All segments added, minus any pith
1 x Handful of freshly chopped mint
Season the slices of halloumi with paprika and black pepper (no salt as it’s a salty cheese already) so they’re ready to BBQ. Make sure all coals are grey/white before BBQing.
Prepare your salad, keeping the watermelon to one side. This ensures your salad stay crisp and crunchy. Depending on how adventurous you want to be you can either add the watermelon uncooked or briefly BBQ for a smokey BBQ’d taste. Both work just as well.
Once you’ve BBQ’d the halloumi (BBQ just the one side to ensure you don’t overcook it) add it to your salad of gem lettuce, pomegranate, orange and chopped mint. Finally add the watermelon and taste for seasoning. Extra black pepper is a great last addition.
It’s as simple as that… you’re ready to serve.BBQ, summer salad
Recent Posts on Dish of the Day
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Super Cleansing Brown Rice Miso Broth with Courgette, Smoked Tofu, Spring Onion and Black Beans
- Organic Black Rice Noodles with Garlic Fried Oyster Mushrooms, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Smoked Tofu & Lemon Oil Dressing
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Asian Style Superfood Salad
- Triple the Ginger, Gingerbread Ice Cream with Panettone Waffles and Drunken Apricots
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Winter Spelt Spinach Tagliatelle with Chestnut Pesto and Greens
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter