Dish of the Day: Lily Vanilli’s recipe for Watermelonade
Preparation time: 5 minutes
4 tbsp lemon or lime juice
400g fresh watermelon flesh, deseeded
1 tbsp caster sugar
200ml cold water
100g ice cubes
Dash of sugar syrup
2 large shots (35ml each) of vodka (optional)
1. Blitz all the ingredients together in a blender with the ice cubes.
2. Stir in the sugar syrup and add vodka if it’s a good day.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
1. Place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan and add twice the amount of water (this should be twice the amount in volume, not weight – so if you have 1 cup of sugar, you would add 2 cups of water).
2. Heat over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid has thickened and started to brown slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Lily is also running the world’s first agony aunt baking column: “Recovering from a Bad Bake-up”. Send in your baking disaster stories of unexpected failures in the kitchen/recurring problems to firstname.lastname@example.org
On the third Friday of the month we will feature a Q&A with advice to help you recover.
Lily Vanilli’s Sweet Tooth is available from Cannongate books, 2012
Follow Lily on Twitter @lilyvanillicake
For more information visit lilyvanilli.com
Instagram lily_vanilli_cakeTagged in: watermelon drink, Watermelonade
Recent Posts on Dish of the Day
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Welsh Rarebit with Caramelised Leeks & Fresh Thyme
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Zesty Lentil Sprout and Avocado Salad
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Super Cleansing Brown Rice Miso Broth with Courgette, Smoked Tofu, Spring Onion and Black Beans
- Organic Black Rice Noodles with Garlic Fried Oyster Mushrooms, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Smoked Tofu & Lemon Oil Dressing
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Asian Style Superfood Salad
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter