It’s not all about Wimbledon – Ultra marathons are getting some exposure on the BBC
BBC Sport’s not all about Wimbledon. To my amazement I spotted on its website a quiz all about – wait for it - ultra marathons. And there was me thinking that ultra-marathoning was safe in its obscurity. Anyway, no complaints. Fabulous that the sport is getting the exposure.
There are only seven questions, which is a funny number for a quiz, but I guess that was the extent of BBC knowledge on the subject. Plus it’s multiple choice, so the time it takes to complete it is more like a 100 metre sprint than an ultra marathon but it’s all great publicity. What next, Clare Balding hosting a weekly programme called Ultra Runners and Other Animals? I look forward to it.
I scored six out of seven, which according to the BBC, only makes me a runner, not an Olympian. I bet Lizzy Hawker, the British ultra runner who has taken the sport by storm over the last few years, scored full marks. Why don’t you let me know, Lizzy?
Even if the thought of running over a marathon distance doesn’t appeal, have a go at the quiz and find out a little more about the sport that’s the ultimate in human endeavour.
Recent Posts on Notebook
- World Aids Day 2013: No time for complacency
- Barking Blondes: The health of the Hound Pound
- On the ground in the Philippines: It will be years until there’s even a semblance of normality for the people affected
- Barking Blondes: Chewing on technology
- The true cost of divorce: The growing problem of hidden assets
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter