Dish of the Day: Lily Vanilli’s recipe for Brownie/Party and Salted pecan brownies
Make up a batch of brownies, fridge them then chop into rough squares, stack them up in a pile, melt 100g dark chocolate in a double boiler, drizzle over your brownie stack and dust with toasted nuts, coconut, dried rose petals, edible flowers, cherries, berries, cacao nibs, or whatever comes to hand really.
A sparkling pink cake board can’t hurt too. I have become addicted to these coloured cake drums lately; you can get them in any colour from hot pink to jet-black and if you’re a sucker like me they’re well worth the extra pence.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
Assembly: 5 mins
Salted pecan brownies
5 medium eggs
300g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
300g unsalted butter, room temperature, cubed
400g caster sugar
80g cocoa powder, sifted
130g self-raising flour, sifted
70g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Good pinch Malden/sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan assisted/gas mark 6.
2. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then add the chocolate and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Pour into the bowl with the chocolate and eggs, stir to melt, then beat for 3–4 minutes.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and flours and fold into the chocolate mix. Stir in the vanilla.
5. Transfer to your prepared tin press pecans into the top, sprinkle with salt and bake for 18 minutes, or until you have a crisp top and a middle that wobbles when you gently shake the tray. Remove from the oven and leave to cool and set in the tin before eating warm, or transfer to the fridge to eat later/transform into a brownie party tower.
Lily Vanilli’s Sweet Tooth is available from Cannongate books, 2012
Follow Lily on Twitter @lilyvanillicake
For more information visit lilyvanilli.com
Recent Posts on Dish of the Day
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Caponata
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Cauliflower & Spinach Cheese with Garlic Thyme Croutons
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Cheats Risotto with Beetroot Crisps
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Spicy Bean Stew with Courgette and Watercress Salad
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Welsh Rarebit with Caramelised Leeks & Fresh Thyme
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter