Dish of the Day: The reluctant vegetarian’s recipe for Stem ginger & vanilla pod tart tatin
I’d like to say that I don’t have a sweet tooth, that desserts don’t really do it for me but I’d be lying. I’m equally torn between sweets and savoury dishes. This is a super simple dish that anyone could (and should!) make. It looks pretty good, can be eaten hot or cold and take no time to prepare at all. What’s even better is that you don’t have to choose between meat and vegetables.
Stem Ginger & Vanilla Pod Tart Tatin:
Cooking Time – 40 mins
- 1 x Cup of brown sugar (soft brown sugar dissolves quicker)
- 4 x Apples – Peeled and sliced into segments (regular apples work just as well as cooking apples do)
- 1 x Vanilla Pod – Cut in half. Insides scraped out, all added
- 2 x Balls of stem ginger – finely sliced
- 1 x Fresh puff pastry
- 1 x Large pot of either vanilla cream, clotted cream or double cream
Add the brown sugar to an oven proof dish or frying pan and heat over a medium heat until all the sugar has fully caramelised. Be sure not to move the pan or stir the sugar whilst it’s cooking. Equally don’t add any fingers to try it, it’s super hot.
Whilst the sugar is caramelising, prepare your apples. Core and peel them first, then slice them in 1/2cm segments. Add the apples to the sugar once it’s caramelised and arrange them neatly before adding the vanilla pod and stem ginger, letting the apples cook for 6/7 mins or until they start to go soft.
Once the apples are cooked, roll out your puff pastry so it’s just bigger then your pan and place it on top of the apples and sugar making sure that you tuck in the sides.
Cook in the oven on 180 for 15/20 mis until the pastry is golden.
Serve warm with your choice of cream or ice cream.
Follow Anna on Twitter @GETINMYGOBTagged in: dessert
Recent Posts on Dish of the Day
- Winter Warmer One Dish Wonder: Beetroot, Goat's Cheese & Harissa Fried Eggs
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Roasted Cauliflower, Caraway and Crispy Sprout Soup
- The reluctant vegetarian: Super-Sized Fake Chicken Chilli Taco
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Garlic Fried Samphire, Courgette & Chilli Lumaconi
- The Reluctant Vegetarian's Leek Fritter Stack with Colston Bassett
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter