Peter Capaldi’s letter to Radio Times in praise of Doctor Who, aged 15
After news that Peter Capaldi was chosen as the new Doctor yesterday, it has emerged that the Thick of It star has been a fan of the show for over forty years.
The actor, 55, wrote an enthusiastic letter to Radio Times magazine aged 15 in praise of the show. In a letter entitled ‘Dalek-builders’ he said:
“May I congratulate you on your excellent Dr Who Special. The articles, photos, and especially the Terry Nation Dalek story with the twist in the tail, were excellent.
The Dalek construction plans will have no doubt inspired many a school to build their own Daleks. Who knows, the country could be invaded by an army of school Daleks! Ah, but we’d be sage, as we’d have Dr Who to protect us!
Your Special has certainly made the year for Dr Who fans. A rather sad year due to the un-timely death of the Master, alias Roger Delgado. But I hope that in 15 years’ time, in 1988, you will publish another Special to celebrate 25 years of wandering in time with the Doctor.”
Today it emerged Capaldi’s love for the series was a major factor in the creator’s casting choice.
Doctor Who creator Steven Moffat said: “I happen to know Capaldi is a big fan. There’s something very seductive about an utterly brilliant, arresting looking leading man actor…who you happen to know is a big fan of the show.”Tagged in: doctor who, Peter Capaldi, Radio Times
Recent Posts on Arts
- Amrita Sher-Gil joins the top end of Indian art auction sales
- F.N.Souza sets a $4m auction record for an Indian painting
- ArcTanGent Interview: ‘It’s like being part of a secret club’
- Indian rickshaw fetches £100,000 for wild elephants at Prince Charles hosted auction
- Vennart Interview and album stream: ‘This album is more focused on vocals and guitar rather than pounding your head and complex riffs’
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter