Dish of the Day: The Reluctant Vegetarian’s recipe for Steamed Pumpkin and Coconut Custard
If you’re bored of the same desserts and want to impress with something out of the ordinary then this is worth a try. Be patient and this will come together a treat and won’t look anything less than super special at any dinner party. You can prepare the day before if you need to and it can be served chilled straight from the fridge.
Cooking /Preparation Time – 40mins
1 x Small pumpkin/Chinese pumpkin – Chopped in half & steamed for 10mins
12 x Tbsp of thick coconut cream
4 x Eggs
8 x Tbsp of palm sugar
1 x Pineapple – Sliced longways
Pistachio kernels – Crushed until fine
Start by slicing the pumpkin in half and scraping out all the seeds. Place the pumpkin halves face down in the steamer. There’s probably not enough room for both in the steamer so steam one at a time for 10 minutes.
Once the pumpkin has been steamed whisk the coconut cream, egg and palm sugar together and heat until warm but not boiling. Place one half of the pumpkin in the steamer and using foil to help it stand up straight, pour the mixture through a fine sieve and into the pumpkin. Place the lid on the steamer and steam for 20 minutes or until the custard has set. There shouldn’t be much of a wobble. Let it cool and then refrigerate until ready to slice and serve.
Serve slices alongside long slices of fresh pineapple with a sprinkle of crushed pistachio.
Recent Posts on Dish of the Day
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Cheats Risotto with Beetroot Crisps
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Spicy Bean Stew with Courgette and Watercress Salad
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Welsh Rarebit with Caramelised Leeks & Fresh Thyme
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Zesty Lentil Sprout and Avocado Salad
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Super Cleansing Brown Rice Miso Broth with Courgette, Smoked Tofu, Spring Onion and Black Beans
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter