Dish of the Day: The Reluctant Vegetarian’s Tomatoes, Goats Cheese and Herb Salad
This recipe is all about quality of ingredients so make sure you opt for the best and most ripe versions of everything listed, it will honestly make all the difference. Recipes don’t get simpler than this one so as soon as the suns out and you feel like pretending you’re somewhere Mediterranean get cooking this. It’s perfect just as it is or as an accompaniment to a large serving of pasta.
Preparation Time -5-10 minutes
Cooking Time – 5 minutes
Feeds – 4
6-8 Large ripe tomatoes (Yellow, Orange and Green are all in season so experiment and mix it up a bit)– Slice into quarters
Generous sprinkle of rock salt and white and freshly ground black pepper
2 Gloves of garlic – Crushed and finely chopped
100g of Capers (add a glug of the vinegar from the jar too)
Big handful of parsley- Finely sliced
Big Handful of basil leaves – Roughly torn
250-300g Goats cheese (vegetarian) – Roughly broken up
Big glug of white wine vinegar
Generous glug of extra virgin olive oil
Slice the fresh ripe tomatoes and place in a large serving bowl or plate and season.
Throw in the chopped garlic, capers, vinegar from the capers, parsley and basil followed by the crumbled goats cheese. Add a big glug of white wine vinegar and roughly mix so all flavours combine and then drizzle over the extra virgin olive oil and a little extra seasoning.
Serve straight away- mop up left over oil and vinegar with a big hunk of sourdough. No part of this dish should go to waste.
Have a look at Anna’s Website
Or follow her on TwitterTagged in: salad, summer, tomatoes
Recent Posts on Dish of the Day
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Super Cleansing Brown Rice Miso Broth with Courgette, Smoked Tofu, Spring Onion and Black Beans
- Organic Black Rice Noodles with Garlic Fried Oyster Mushrooms, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Smoked Tofu & Lemon Oil Dressing
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Asian Style Superfood Salad
- Triple the Ginger, Gingerbread Ice Cream with Panettone Waffles and Drunken Apricots
- The Reluctant Vegetarian: Winter Spelt Spinach Tagliatelle with Chestnut Pesto and Greens
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter