Ed Miliband’s unwise speech
Esteemed colleague Andrew Grice said: “Rarely in 30 years of reporting national politics have I seen such a candid, self-aware and self-deprecating speech.” Fellow Blairite zombie Daniel Hodges, on the other hand, thought it was “one of most breathtakingly cynical and hypocritical speeches I’ve ever seen delivered by a major British politician”.
I observe merely that it gives everyone permission to discuss Ed Miliband’s image problem, which is not helpful to the Labour leader, and that it means that he cannot now go near a camera without people commenting that they thought he wasn’t interested in photo-opportunities.
I also sought to assess how “weird” recent prime ministers have been compared with him in The Independent today. The feature is not online, so I post it here.ed miliband
Recent Posts on Eagle Eye
- The King of Bhutan’s hopes in 1987 for Gross National Happiness are valid today
- Cameron and Modi bond as they woo some 60,000 overseas Indians at Wembley
- Modi tries to revamp his battered image as he flies to London
- Big defeat for India's Narendra Modi just before UK visit
- Mark Carney is compromising the Bank of England’s independence
Latest from Independent journalists on Twitter